Sunday, September 30, 2012

White Chicken Chili

I LOVE FALL. I love soups. I love pumpkins. I love spice-lattes. I love soups. I love cool crisp weather. I love bonfires. I love hayrides. I love (UT) football. And did I mention that I love soups??

When I lived in Knoxville, I was a big fan of the restaurant Calhoun's. In particular, I love their white chicken chili. So one of the first recipes I found to cook after getting married was a copy-cat-recipe of Calhoun's white chicken chili. I've made it many many times over the last 6 years, and it's always a favorite with friends.

I thought some of you might enjoy trying it as well!

Buen Provecho!

Ingredients:
1 cup onions finely diced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups water
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon fresh cilantro
1 4 oz can canned diced green chiles
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
6 cups great northern beans, from canned (which is equivilent to 3cans of beans, but I like a lot of beans so I use FOUR 15 oz cans of great northern beans)
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water

Directions
Trim all fat and cartilage from the chicken breasts.Place on a baking pan.Bake at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked throughout.Allow to cool, then hand pull into small pieces (or shred in food processor). Set aside.Saute diced onions, oregano and olive oil together in a soup pot. Cookfor about 5 minutes. (or until onions are tender)Combine water, chicken broth, garlic, cumin, cilantro and green chilies.Add to the sauted onions.Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.Add chicken and great northern beans, stir often, simmer for 15 minutes.Blend corn starch with the cold water and add to chili to thicken.Continue to simmer until chili thickens, then remove from heat.Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, Monterey Jack cheese, and sour cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment